A dozy dad-to-be was caught driving himself away from court – after being slapped with a road ban.
Hapless Christopher Coxon won himself a one-way trip to jail after getting behind the wheel only minutes into the year-long driving disqualification.
The 23-year-old had been banned by magistrates in South Tyneside for a no insurance offence on April 7.
But having driven to his court date, he got back in his Volkswagen Golf and set off for home following the verdict.
Keen-eyed police were still at the court after being called to deal with a disturbance involving Coxon at the court ahead of his hearing.
Valerie Bell, defending Coxon, conceded he made the ‘stupid decision’ to flout the ban.
Coxon, of Newmarket Walk, South Shields, admitted driving while disqualified and driving without insurance at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court.
Glenda Beck, prosecuting, said: “At 11am on April 7, officers were called to attend the court following reports of a disturbance.
“They spoke to the defendant and inquiries revealed that he was due in court on an unrelated matter and they decided to wait for that matter to be dealt with.
“They observed him leaving court in a Volkswagen Golf and had information he was driving without insurance.
“He was arrested and it was discovered he was banned from driving at court that day.”
Valerie Bell, defending, added: “He didn’t appreciate he was likely to be disqualified and had driven himself and his wife to court.
“Stupidly, he started to drive back home and was stopped by police.
“I would ask that you give him full credit for his guilty plea.
“He has a wife who is in employment and is pregnant.”
Robert McDonald, chair of the magistrates, said: “You walked out of this court at the beginning of April having just been disqualified from driving and immediately got into your car and drove again.
“As far as we are concerned, this passes the custody threshold.”
Coxon was jailed for eight weeks and given a 19-month driving ban, and must pay a criminal courts charge of £180.