Drunk thug glassed man in the neck after biting and punching Metro inspectors

editorial image

An attacker who thrust a glass into a man’s neck outside a party has been branded a public danger and put behind bars.

Paul Wise was lucky to survive the brutal attack by James McGuigan in a back lane at Parliament Street, Hebburn, on July 23.

The shocking assault happened just a day after McGuigan, 27, punched a Metro inspector and bit another during another terrifying, drunken attack.

At Newcastle Crown Court yesterday Mr Recorder, Andrew Dallas, jailed McGuigan, of Toner Avenue, Hebburn, for 27 months with an extended licence period of 21 months.

The judge told him: “People die when glasses are swung at their necks. It is a matter of complete luck as to what happens. It was a highly-dangerous action.

“It is clear to me you are a dangerous man in drink and there are no good grounds for believing that you would not return to alcohol at the first opportunity.

“You pose a high risk of causing serious harm to the public and a high risk of committing further offences.”

The court heard McGuigan had been back on the street for three months after being released from a three-year sentence for robbery with an imitation firearm.

It was on July 23 police had been called to the party after reports from neighbours who saw two men standing in the lane outside.

Kevin Wardlaw, prosecuting, told the court: “They saw the defendant strike out at the complainant, with something in his hand. There was extremely heavy bleeding from the neck wound.”

Mr Wise told police he thought he had been jabbed with a bottle, but prosecutors accept the weapon was most likely a glass McGuigan had been drinking from.

At the time of the attack McGuigan had been back on the streets for a matter of hours after being arrested over the Metro station attack and then bailed.

The court heard inspectors at Gateshead interchange had tried to remove McGuigan from the system on July 22 due to his drunken behaviour and having no ticket.

McGuigan had punched one inspector in the face and lashed out with a bag containing alcohol.

When a second inspector stepped in, he was bitten on the hand.

The court heard the bite marks healed, but the inspector needed a series of anti-hepatitis and tetanus injections, and is still awaiting the outcome of tests.

The judge told Mr McGuigan: “If anyone is bitten by a drunken stranger it causes consequences far beyond the actual injury.”

McGuigan admitted assault by beating, assault and unlawful wounding.

Graeme Cook, defending, said drink and a lack of stable accommodation lies at the heart of McGuigan’s behaviour.

Mr Cook said: “He is still a relatively young man who over the space of two days committed serious offences.”

Twitter @shieldsgazette