Drunken woman punched cop after going to police station to admit a crime

Emma Hook pleaded guilty to assaulting a police officer at South Shields police station.
Emma Hook pleaded guilty to assaulting a police officer at South Shields police station.

An ‘out of control’ yob made drunken death threats and launched an angry attack on an officer at a police station – after turning up to own up to a crime.

‘Stupid’ Emma Hook made her way to South Shields Police Station on Sunday night after a drink binge when she realised she was out beyond her curfew hours and couldn’t find her way home.

Your behaviour is out of control.

District Judge Roger Elsey

But when she was approached by an officer while slumped on a bench in the station foyer, she warned him he would ‘get it’ before clenching her fists and punching him in the chest.

The 26-year-old was swiftly arrested and kept in police cells ahead of a court date the following morning.

Hook was on bail ahead of being sentenced for another booze-fuelled rant at police at the time of the assault and is also facing a burglary charge at court later this month.

Hook, of St Marks Way, South Shields, admitted a charge of assaulting a police officer when she appeared before South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court.

The court heart that Hook’s court date was her second stint in the dock in less than a week – coming hot on the heels of a drunk and disorderly charge for hurling abuse at police in Laygate, South Shields, on November 2.

She entered a guilty plea to that charge, but her sentence was delayed until later this month to tie in with other matters she faces.

Neil Fodor, prosecuting, said: “At 9.30pm on Sunday at South Shields Police Station, Hook was seen on a bench in the foyer in an intoxicated condition.

“She indicated she had come to the station to kill police.

“An officer approached her and she said ‘you will get it’.

“She clenched her fist and swung a punch, hitting the officer in the chest.

“The officer then restrained her.”

Valerie Bell, defending, said Hook had been in a ‘drunken and confused’ state when she arrived at the police station.

Miss Bell said: “Alcohol played its part. On the night she was drinking heavily and found herself at a bus stop.

“She couldn’t find her way home and went to the police station to tell them as she should’ve been at home for 7.30pm on her curfew.

“The police were more concerned with getting her out of the police station. She was drunk, confused and upset.

“The officer didn’t require any medical treatment.

“It was a very silly thing for her to do and she spent a night in the police cells.”

District Judge Roger Elsey warned Hook that her actions could have landed her a jail sentence – and urged her to curb her boozy bad behaviour.

District Judge Elsey said: “People who punch police officers can go to prison for up to six months.

“Your behaviour is out of control at the moment.”

District Judge Elsey asked for a probation report – which will investigate Hook’s suitability for an alcohol treatment programme – to be prepared ahead of sentencing on December 9.

She was bailed until then.