Eight due in court after Sunderland vs Newcastle derby day trouble

Jermain Defoe of Sunderland celebrates scoring at the derby.
Jermain Defoe of Sunderland celebrates scoring at the derby.

EIGHT people are due to appear in court after being arrested in connection with Sunday’s Wear-Tyne derby game at the Stadium of Light.

A total of 25 arrests were made in Sunderland by Northumbria Police, and one in Newcastle, on the day the Black Cats beat the Magpies 1-0 at home.

Five were charged with being drunk and disorderly in Sunderland – an 18-year-old, a 20-year-old and a 44-year-old from Sunderland, a 26-year-old from County Durham and a 38-year-old from Berwick.

Also due in court are two Sunderland men aged 19 and 51, who are charged with breaching a football banning order.

A 23-year-old arrested on suspicion of disorderly conduct has been given a court summons.

Eight of those arrested accepted cautions, including two 19-year-olds from Penrith, who were arrested for going onto the playing area, along with a 44-year-old County Durham man.

Also cautioned were men, aged 30 and 37 from Livingston, West Lothian, and Lanarkshire respectively, who were held for possessing alcohol in a sports ground.

A 35-year-old Hebburn man accepted a caution for possession of a controlled drug, along with a 28-year-old man from Benton.

Finally, a 48-year-old Washington man arrested in Sunderland for disorderly conduct also accepted a caution.

Two boys from Sunderland, aged 14 and 15, have been bailed pending youth surgery after being arrested for going on to the playing area.

Three have been bailed after being arrested on suspicion of affray – two men, aged 46 and 50, from Durham, and a 30-year-old from Sunderland.

Also bailed were a 45-year-old Sunderland man arrested for threatening behaviour, a 19-year-old Sunderland man arrested for assault, and a man aged 32, from West Boldon, who was held for criminal damage.

A 21-year-old Washington man, arrested for going on to the paying area, was summonsed.

The one arrest made in Newcastle was of a 45-year-old Birmingham man on suspicion of breach of peace. He was common law released.

Match commander, Chief Superintendent Steve Neill, said: “The vast majority of fans were great. They represented themselves and their clubs impeccably and enjoyed the Wear Tyne derby for the great occasion that it is.

“The policing operation went well and I’d like to commend the professionalism of all those involved.

“This was very much a partnership operation and the degree of planning that went into this large scale operation ensured that genuine fans were able to enjoy the game in an atmosphere free of intimidation or violence. I’m pleased that the vast majority of fans who attended today were clearly there to enjoy the football and were not interested in causing trouble.

“I’d like to praise supporters from both clubs – they worked well with officers on the ground, were extremely patient and good natured and enjoyed the day in the best spirit. The holdback went very smoothly and supporters worked really well with police and stewards.

“Public safety is always our number one priority during any football match and the few people who chose to pose a threat to public safety were dealt with swiftly by police.”