Flytipper and cemetery dog offender in court as team cracks down

editorial image

A MAN has found himself on the wrong side of the law after he failed to clear a build-up of waste from his back garden.

South Tyneside Council took legal action against Sean Heavisides following a complaint last November about the state of his back garden in Hutton Row, South Shields.

The council’s Environmental Health team served him with a Notice under the Prevention of Damage of Pests Act after an inspection found a build-up of domestic refuse and other discarded items, material and debris including a settee, in the garden. The Notice required Mr Heaviside to remove the rubbish within seven days.

The court heard that despite some direct contact between the Council and 32-year-old Mr Heaviside, the situation remained unchanged during two subsequent inspections and a third inspection in December found the condition to be worse than before.

Although some of the bulky items had been removed from the garden over the New Year period, further inspections in January found that the conditions not only remained unacceptable but continued to get worse.

Mr Heavisides was prosecuted in his absence at South Tyneside Magistrates Court on 7 April. He was fined £120 and ordered to pay a further £20 victim surcharge and costs of £100.

Cemetery dog offence

South Tyneside Council also took action when Inga Hoff failed to pay a Fixed Penalty Notice that was issued to her while she was walking her Staffordshire Bull Terrier off a lead through Boldon Cemetery in Dipe Lane last October.

South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court heard that Ms Hoff, of Rutherglen Square, Sunderland, was spotted by the Council’s Animal Welfare officers who were patrolling the cemetery at the time. Officers explained the laws regarding dogs on leads in Borough cemeteries and advised on the signage in place.

Magistrates were told that when issued with the Notice, Ms Hoff initially gave false details. The officer checked the details given and found they did not match. When challenged she provided different information, which again proved to be false.

Ms Hoff was prosecuted by the Council after the Notice went unpaid, despite several reminders including a letter hand-delivered to the 49-year-old’s true home address.

The case was proven in her absence on 7 April. She was fined £120 and ordered her to pay a £20 victim surcharge and £100 in costs.