Former X Factor hopeful going back on trial

Paige Flaherty is accused of breaching the terms of a suspended prison sentence.
Paige Flaherty is accused of breaching the terms of a suspended prison sentence.

A former X Factor contestant is to go on trial accused of breaching the terms of a suspended prison sentence.

Paige Flaherty, who auditioned for the hit talent show as part of the band Twisted in 2011, appeared at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court yesterday to enter her not guilty plea.

There seems to have been some breakdown in communication between Miss Flaherty and the Probation Service.

David Forrester, defending

The 21-year-old, of Fife Avenue, Jarrow, denies failing to turn up for a required appointment with the probation service.

She pleaded not guilty to failing to turn up for an appointment as part of her community order on June 30, and a trial date was set at South Tyneside for Thursday, August 27.

Flaherty had been told by a crown court judge that she had been given her “final chance” to keep out of jail when he imposed the six-month term, suspended for two years, last December.

The sentence was imposed at Newcastle Crown Court after she admitted stealing a man’s iPhone, along with £200, from his mother’s purse, in June 2013.

Yesterday, David Forrester, defending, said: “There seems to have been some breakdown in communication between Miss Flaherty and the probation service.

“She indicated to them that she would not be able to attend that appointment.”

In April 2013, Flaherty was given a six-month jail sentence – suspended for 18 months – after ploughing into pedestrian Chris Brown in her bandmate’s Mini.

She was arrested after the victim spotted her performing on the smash hit show.

She pleaded guilty to aggravated vehicle taking, taking without the owner’s consent and two charges of driving otherwise in accordance with a licence and no insurance.

In June 2013, she received a community order after admitting stealing a pal’s purse containing £460 cash in March of that year.

She received a second suspended sentence last December at Newcastle Crown Court after stealing a man’s iPhone, along with £200 from his mother’s purse.