‘I thought I was going to die’ – stabbing victim speaks after surviving 14 knife blows

River Drive knife attack victim Terry Robinson
River Drive knife attack victim Terry Robinson

A STABBING victim has told of the moment he thought he was going to die after being knifed 14 times outside his home.

Terry Robinson, 58, has thanked his heroic neighbours for saving his life after he was stabbed in the chest, head, hands and neck during the frenzied assault in River Drive, South Shields, last Monday evening.

River Drive knife attack victim Terry Robinson

River Drive knife attack victim Terry Robinson

The attack happened while he was in the street outside his home waving goodbye to his niece and her three children – two boys, aged 12 and five, and a six-year-old girl.

Neighbour Neil Gunn stepped in to help, wielding a frying pan he had been using, while another male neighbour helped to restrain Mr Robinson’s attacker.

A woman with first-aid experience helped to stop the flow of blood, while other neighbouts called for emergency assistance.

Mr Robinson was taken to Newcastle’s Royal Victoria Infirmary to undergo surgery to deep wounds on his neck.

I thought I was going to die - i had no fight left in me.

Terry Robinson

He is now recovering at home after being discharged last Tuesday.

Mr Robinson, who has lived in his flat since 1997, said: “My niece’s children had been to stay for the day. I was waving them goodbye when I was stabbed three times in the stomach.

“He then started slashing at me, before stabbing me in the neck and the head. I thought I was going to die. I had no fight left in me.

“My niece and her children were still there when it happened.

“The paramedics and the hospital did a brilliant job. I am still sore all over. I was stabbed 14 times in total.

“I still keep replaying the incident in my head like a video.

“The children have been back to see me to make sure I was ok, but when I waved goodbye to them again, I was thinking ‘is it going to happen again?’.”

Mr Robinson believes he owes his life to the neighbours and passers-by who came to his aid.

He added: “I owe my life to them. If it wasn’t for them, I don’t think I would be here. I have seen them all since and thanked them.

“They are my heroes. It has restored my faith in humanity.

“I have four sisters and four brothers. I have had lots of cards and visits and have never been off the phone or getting text messages.

“At some point, I will probably go in the corner and have a little cry. There has been so much going on.”

Mr Gunn said he fended off the attcker with a frying pan as it was the closest thing he had to hand.

He said: “It was fight or flight. I saw Terry being attacked, and there was blood everywhere. I had to do something.

“I hit him with the frying pan and then got the knife out of his hand and stuck it in the ground so he couldn’t use it again.”

n Dean Glen Marshall, of River Drive, South Shields, appeared at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court last week charged with attempted murder.

No pleas were entered during the hearing.

The case was sent to Newcastle Crown Court for an initial hearing on Wednesday, May 20.

Marshall, 31, was remanded in custody until then.

Twitter: @shieldsgazchris