Jail for man caught with knife outside South Shields nightclub

LOCKED UP ... Kevin Dunn was caught on camera with a knife outside a nightclub in South Shields.
LOCKED UP ... Kevin Dunn was caught on camera with a knife outside a nightclub in South Shields.

A MAN who was caught on camera in possession of a kitchen knife outside a South Tyneside nightspot has been locked up for four months.

Police were alerted by a CCTV camera operator that a man had been seen with a blade outside the Wicked club in Ocean Road.

When officers arrived at about 2.05am on June 7, they discovered Kevin Dunn with the knife in the waistband of his trousers.

As he was arrested, a second kitchen knife he was carrying fell to the ground.

The 25-year-old admitted possession of a bladed article when he appeared before South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court earlier this month.

He was remanded in custody until sentencing at the court yesterday.

Dunn also pleaded guilty to two further charges – of criminal damage at William Hill bookmakers, and of using threatening words and behaviour to cause fear of violence to a female victim – both in Jarrow on June 21.

Those offences were also captured on street cameras, with Dunn arrested after being identified from the footage.

Ian Simpson, prosecuting, said: “In relation to the bladed article, CCTV camera operators monitoring outside Wicked nightclub noticed a male in a grey hoodie with a knife.

“Officers arrived at the scene and saw Dunn, who matched the description given on CCTV.

“He had a kitchen knife in the waistband of his trousers.

“As he was arrested, a second kitchen knife fell to the floor.

“On June 21, CCTV was in operation at Fellgate Avenue, and Dunn was seen being violent towards a female, attempting to kick and punch her. He was also seen causing damage to a window at William Hill in Jarrow.

“The cost of the damage was £600. Dunn was identified and arrested.”

The court heard that Dunn, of Galsworthy Road, South Shields, has 24 previous convictions.

Geoffrey Forrester, defending, said: “The reality is these matters pass the custody threshold.

“The choice you have is whether to impose an immediate sentence, or suspend the custodial sentence.

“The maximum sentence he can receive for these offences is six months.

“With his early guilty plea, this would come down to four months, and he has already spent three weeks in custody.

“The way the criminal justice system operates is a mystery to many people, and sometimes to the professionals too.

“Of a four-month sentence, he would serve two months and after having already had three weeks in custody, that would be a sentence of about five weeks.

“I would urge you to give him a suspended sentence, and impose supervision to help address the underlying causes of his offending.”

Michael Conroy, chairman of the magistrates, said: “We believe the offences have passed the custody threshold.

“You will go to custody for 16 weeks.”

Dunn was given a 16-week jail term for the possession of a blade and for the threatening behaviour charge, with the sentences to run concurrently.

An eight-week sentence for the criminal damage offence will also run concurrently.