Jailed: South Shields thug who slammed girlfriend’s head against wall

editorial image

A THUG whose girlfriend suffered a fit after he twice slammed her head against a wall has been jailed for over seven months.

Jonathan Bell grabbed his partner around the neck as she lay in bed, before banging her head against the bedroom wall at the home they shared.

Magistrates heard the attack followed a falling out between the couple outside the Asda supermarket, in Coronation Street, South Shields, hours earlier, and Bell’s partner had gone to a spare bedroom in the house in St Jude’s Terrace, South Shields, to allow him to calm down.

The victim, who suffers from a genetic condition causing fits, suffered headaches for ten days.

Bell attacked her on a second occasion, this time striking her in the face before again banging her head against a wall, after drinking four litres of cider during the day.

Bell had pleaded guilty to two counts of assault causing actual bodily harm and a separate incident of driving while disqualified from September 25 at an earlier hearing at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court.

He was back at the court for sentencing after the matter was adjourned for a probation report.

The court heard the pair had been in a relationship for seven months, but the victim had grown concerned for Bell’s mental health.

Jonathan Moore, prosecuting, said: “In the second attack he banged her head against the wall and then squeezed her by the neck. She was struggling to breath.

“She managed to get her phone to ring 999. He left when he realised she had made the call.”

The first assault took place between September 30 and October 31, with the second assault taking place on October 31.

Valerie Bell, defending, said: “In relation to the assaults, he handed himself into police and said ‘I know I have done something wrong’.

“The victim attended court to say she wanted to retract her statement.

“She said he did assault her, but she didn’t think prison was going to benefit him.”

District Judge Helen Cousins jailed Bell, whose address was given as Hylton Terrace, Chester-le-Street, for 26 weeks for the assaults and a further four weeks for the driving offence.