Jarrow man back behind bars for excrement attack on prison officer

HMP Northumberland, where a prison officer was assaulted.
HMP Northumberland, where a prison officer was assaulted.

A prisoner from South Tyneside who threw a container of excrement over a prison officer has been sent back to jail.

Gary Robert Llewellyn, 23, of Pine Street, Jarrow, appeared before magistrates in South Tyneside yesterday charged with two counts of assault.

Llewellyn admitted assaulting prison warden Ivan Eastlake on May 28, while serving a prison sentence for robbery at HMP Northumberland.

The court heard the attack happened as Llwellyn was being escorted back to his cell by a number of prison officers, including Mr Eastlake.

The court heard Llewellyn picked up a container of urine and faeces, which had been left outside a cell, and threw it at Mr Eastlake – hitting him in the face, mouth and body. Other officers nearby were also covered.

The court heard Mr Eastlake – who had been a prison warden for more than 20 years – is on sick leave while he copes with the effects of the assault on his physical and mental well-being.

In his victim impact statement read out in court, he said: “Being covered in someone else’s faeces is worse than being punched.

“This has left me feeling intimidated and humiliated.

“It undermines staff authority in what is a very difficult job.

“It has had a detrimental affect on my physical and mental well-being.”

Llewellyn also pleaded guilty to assaulting Amyrae Ridley on August 13 – just weeks after being released from prison.

Jeanette Smith, prosecuting, told the court Lwellyn pushed his way in to her home before he assaulted her. Laura Johnson, defending, said Lewellyn carried out the attack on the prison officer after being threatened himself by other inmates.

“He was used as a tool by others,” she said.

“He was threatened by other inmates at the prison to carry out this offence and was told he would be slashed up if he didn’t.

“He didn’t go unpunished – he spent a considerable period of time in segregation .

“He apologised immediately for his actions.”

Chairman of magistrates, Robert McDonald, called the attack “absolutely disgusting” and sentenced Llewellyn to 23 weeks’ imprisonment.

He will also have to pay a total of £230 in costs, which includes £80 in compensation to the prison officer.