Jarrow man spared jail after hammer attack

Robert Taylor was spared jail after a hammer attack at Siminside Metro Station
Robert Taylor was spared jail after a hammer attack at Siminside Metro Station

A bus driver beat his step-daughter's former boyfriend unconscious in a hammer attack.

Robert Taylor armed himself with a rubber mallett and a large stick before tracking down his victim on the platform at Simonside Metro station on New Years' Eve.

The 45-year-old used both weapons on his victim before walking away while the 20-year-old was unconscious on the ground.

Prosecutor Jolyon Perks told Newcastle Crown Court Taylor initially used the lump hammer, or rubber mallet, to hit his victim's head.

He added: "When the young man was on the floor trying to protect himself, he repeatedly struck him on the legs. He then left the scene briefly and allowed the complainant to collect himself.

"He then returned and produced from his jacket what was described as a stick, which he wielded that a number of times, hitting him to the head and rendering him unconscious on the platform. He then took off and left him there. There was nobody else around."

The court heard Taylor had sent the victim an abusive text message just days before the attack, warning "I know where you live".

Taylor, of Hadrian Road, Jarrow, admitted assault and having offensive weapons.

The court heard the victim has been told he will be off work for a year as a result of the attack, which left him with a fractured bone in his face, an injury to his knee as well as bruising and swelling.

He told police in a statement: "I still think there was no need to use weapons. If he wanted to fit he should have just used his fists."

The court heard the violence flared after the breakdown of a long relationship between the victim and Taylor's step-daughter.

There had been an accusation that the victim had damaged the step-daughter's car and thrown a drink at her when he went to her workplace to apologise, which caused Taylor to snap.

Mr Recorder Keith Miller said the violence was "shocking" and told Taylor "When police tried to show the CCTV pictures to you, you didn't want to watch because you were aware of what you had done.

"You are fortunate that the injuries were not a good deal more serious."

Taylor was sentenced to two years imprisonment, suspended for two years, with rehabilitation requirements and £1,300 costs.

The judge said the prison sentence could be suspended because Taylor has no convictions, has a good work record and there is "considerable background"

to the case.

Graeme Cook, defending, said Taylor was shocked by his own behaviour, which has "devastated" his family unit.

The court heard there has been no trouble since.