Job seeker hands in CV to Asda – then steals from the shelves

Asda, Coronation Street
Asda, Coronation Street

A JOB hunt led to a court appearance for a South Tyneside thief who was caught stealing from a supermarket – after he had handed in his CV at the store.

Luke Scott had gone to the Asda store in Coronation Street, South Shields, on December 9, in a bid to find work, but only ended up with a first criminal conviction after he was stopped after snatching an electric shaver.

When he was arrested, police found a raft of other stolen items in his possession, which he admitted he had taken during previous raids at Asda, as well as Wilkinsons store and Morrisons in South Shields. In all, the 29-year-old, of Imeary Street, South Shields, had stolen eight candles, knives, handwash and soap from Asda – to the value of £156 – chocolates worth £6.99 from Wilkinsons store and aftershave valued at £53 from Morrisons.

The thefts were all carried out between December 2 and December 9.

Paul Anderson, prosecuting, said: “He was seen stealing an electric shaver in Asda on December 9. He was stopped and found in possession of other items that were found to be stolen from other stores.

“Various items were also recovered during a search of his home address. In interview, he was very frank with police and said he stole the items from the three stores over the course of a week.

“He said he had gone to the job centre at about 10am and then went to Asda with a copy of his CV, which he handed over to a security officer.

“But he took the electric shaver while in the store.”

Geoffrey Forrester, defending, said: “He has no previous convictions at all. He was caught red handed and admitted to police that he had stolen goods from the other stores.

“He is entitled to full credit for that. There was no sophistication at all.

“He stole the items because he wanted to have them – not to sell them on.”

Harry Metcalfe, chairman of the magistrates, asked for a probation report to be prepared on Scott ahead of sentencing.

The case was adjourned until February 4.

Scott was given bail until then, with the condition he does not enter the three stores where the thefts took place.