Lewd medic suspended for groping nurse

SUSPENDED ... Mohamed  Niaz Ahmed touched a nurse's breast and made sexual advances towards her.
SUSPENDED ... Mohamed Niaz Ahmed touched a nurse's breast and made sexual advances towards her.

A SOUTH Tyneside doctor who groped a nurse while she was treating him at the hospital where he worked, has been suspended from medical practice for six months.

Mohamed Niaz Ahmed touched the nurse’s breast and made sexual advances towards her when admitted to South Tyneside District Hospital’s accident and emergency ward after suffering facial injuries in a fall.

The 54-year-old, of Broadlands, Cleadon, who was employed by the hospital at the time as an an anaesthetist, had a case of misconduct proved against him at a Fitness to Practice Panel hearing held by the Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service.

Ahmed was admitted to the hospital on September 21, 2010, by ambulance after falling off an electric bicycle.

The disciplinary panel report states that he smelt strongly of alcohol, and his behaviour was that of a person intoxicated.

While being treated by a nurse – referred to as Nurse A – he made sexual advances to her and touched her breast. A second nurse – referred to as Nurse B – was drafted in for help.

Ahmed said ‘Oh darlings, oh darlings’ to both and is alleged to have attempted to touch Nurse B’s face.

It was also alleged Ahmed repeatedly exposed his genitals to nursing staff by removing a hospital gown but the panel did not find evidence Ahmed deliberately touched the nurses’s face and concluded that, as the gown Ahmed was wearing was not a comfortable fit, it could have ridden up. The panel found there was no sufficient evidence Ahmed exposed himself deliberately.

Ahmed was also before the tribunal over an incident at a firework display where he discussed the possibility of having sex with two girls, aged 16 and 15, and hugged and kissed both girls, touched both of their bottoms and allowed himself to be photographed with another girl bending over provacatively in front of him.

The disciplinary hearing described Ahmed’s actions as ‘deplorable’ and suspended him for serious misconduct.

The incident at a South Tyneside firework display took place in November 2011.

Ahmed was acquitted of charges of sexual assault and engaging in sexual activity with a child during a four-day trial at Newcastle Crown Court over his behaviour at the firework display.

But disciplinary proceedings in regards to both matters were carried out.

At a Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service hearing in Manchester, his behaviour was found to be “inappropriate for a doctor” and an “abuse of trust”.

Over the incident at South Tyneside Hospital, panel chairman Dr Wendy Kuriyan said: “Your conduct was inappropriate but not sexually motivated, and the panel is satisfied that it amounted to misconduct.

“However, the panel has already decided that you were in a confused state which resulted from intoxication, a head injury or a combination of both.

“Taking this into account, the panel has concluded that you lacked capacity and cannot be held responsible for this conduct.”

The panel found that his misconduct was not sufficiently serious to impair his fitness to practice, but concluded his actions at the firework display did merit a suspension.

Dr Kuriyan added: “The panel considered that your behaviour at the bonfire night event was totally inappropriate behaviour by any right- thinking adult, let alone a registered medical practitioner.

“You could have walked away at any point. The panel considers that your conduct fell far below that expected of a medical practitioner.

“Accordingly, the panel has concluded that your actions amounted to serious misconduct.”

Ian Frame, executive director of personnel and development at South Tyneside NHS Foundation Trust said: “I can confirm that Dr Ahmed was employed by the Trust until December 2010 as a staff grade anaesthetist.

“We are aware of the events which took place around September 2010, which were investigated by us and appropriate disciplinary action was taken.

“Any events after December 2010 took place when he was no longer our employee.”

Ahmed’s six-month suspension was put into force with immediate effect. He has 28 days to appeal.

Ahmed was not available for comment.