Man abused ex just a month after being given restraining order for her protection

A man called his ex an abusive name during a phone call while the subject of a court order meant to control his behaviour towards her.

Wednesday, 8th January 2020, 3:06 pm
Updated Wednesday, 8th January 2020, 4:06 pm
The case was heard at Newcastle Crown Court.
The case was heard at Newcastle Crown Court.

Keith Barnes made the "unpleasant and unnecessary" remark to his former partner during a telephone conversation in September.

Newcastle Crown Court heard the 33-year-old had been given a restraining order to prevent him causing the woman any harassment, alarm or distress, less than a month before.

The order had been made in August, as a result of an earlier confrontation when he had turned up at her home in Sunderland, punched her bedroom door, which caused damage, and stolen her phone and iPad.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Barnes, of Barnes Road, South Shields, who lives with his new partner and their son, admitted making a malicious communication.

Judge Robert Spragg sentenced him to a community order for 12 months with a new five year restraining order to keep him away from the victim.

Judge Spragg told him: "You accused your former partner of cheating on you and called her a cheap ****.

"Clearly, that was a very unpleasant thing to do."

Tony Cornberg, defending, said Barnes is in employment and there has been no trouble since.

Mr Cornberg added: "What we are concerned with is him calling her that particularly unpleasant phrase when he lost his head during the heat of the moment.

"The dust seems to have well and truly settled since then."