Man attacked by thug outside shop

PLACED ON A CURFEW ... Jonathan Mason.
PLACED ON A CURFEW ... Jonathan Mason.

A THUG shouted at a man outside a South Tyneside shop before throwing punches at his head.

Jonathan Mason’s victim was left with facial injuries after the unprovoked attack outside the Tesco Extra Store, at Prince Edward, Harton Nook, South Shields.

Mason, 23, of Pine Avenue, South Shields, appeared for sentence at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court on Monday.

He previously denied the assault, which took place on November 5 last year, but was found guilty following a trial in March.

Stan Sudworth, prosecuting, said Mason was one of three men who were outside the store, while his victim was using a cashpoint.

He said: “The man was using the cashpoint when he heard a voice shout and swear at him, and a bottle was thrown.

“He turned around and saw three men. He went into the Tesco store and phoned for a taxi.

“When he came outside, he heard Mr Mason shout something about a cigarette, before moving towards him and trying to punch him in the face.

“A second punch caught him on the right eye, and another punch to his temple.”

The court heard that a number of girls or young women arrived at the scene, before the victim got into a taxi to go home.

The man suffered eye injuries, and bruising and swelling to his face, which was very tender.

Mr Sudworth added: “At the trial, the court found that the man’s injuries were credible.”

Paul Duffy, defending, said: “It was alleged that he assaulted the man, there was a trial and he was found guilty.

“He did put himself at the scene, and in an argument, and in a fight.”

Mr Duffy added that Mason has not been convicted since October 2008.

Magistrates’ said that the attack was unprovoked and Mason was handed an eight-week community order.

Mason, a father-of-two, was placed on a curfew and must remain at his home address between 8.30pm and 7am.

He was ordered to pay £50 in compensation and court costs of £250.

Twitter: @shieldsgazjoe