A MAN who was left disfigured after a night has been given new hope as surgeons prepare to fix his nose.
Christopher Watson, of West Boldon, was on a night out in Newcastle when he was attacked in the early hours of December 22, 2013.
The 32-year-old is now set to undergo another operation in early May, with surgeons hoping to repair the damage.
He said: “They’re basically going to tidy it up and use the skin flap to mould my nose.
“They’re hoping to get it as normal as they can, but they’ve said all along that it would never look the same as it did.
They’re hoping to get it as normal as they can, but they’ve said all along that it would never look the same as it did.Christopher Watson
“The tip of my nose that was missing is as symmetrical as they can get it now but hopefully after this next surgery, it will look a lot better than it does.
“They haven’t given me an exact date yet but they say it’s going to be around early May.”
Christopher spoke to the Gazette to warn others of the dangers of drinking heavily, saying he regretted not being able to remember what happened to him more clearly.
He said: “I regret that I can’t remember more about what happened to me, and I think if I’d been a bit more sober, it might not have happened.
“I can’t remember who attacked me or why they did it, and it could have been a lot worse, he could have stabbed me and I wouldn’t know anything about it.”
Christopher has already had four operations on his nose. The tip of his nose, around the size of a 5p piece, was missing, and doctors have used skin from behind his ear and his forehead to repair the damage.
He says that all he remembers about the attack was getting out of a taxi at St James’s Park and walking towards the city centre before seeing a flash of a blue shirt and black hair and feeling his nose being bitten.
Police officers originally investigated the incident, but dropped it days later saying there was no evidence to suggest a crime.
However, officers have since taken a fresh look at the case and issued Christopher with a new crime number, meaning he could be eligible for compensation.
Christopher, originally from West London, added: “They called a few days after I’d been in the paper to say they’d looked at it again and were now looking at it as a crime.
“They say it’s very unlikely that they’ll ever catch who did it but I’m happy that they’re taking it more seriously now.
“I had been told I couldn’t get any compensation because it wasn’t a crime, but now it’s just a case of waiting for the police to get in touch to go through it.
“It could be months before anything happens but at least I might get something now to make up for having to miss work so much.”
A spokesman for Northumbria Police said: “We have had a fresh look at this incident and have given Mr Watson a new crime number.
“Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101, quoting reference number 0102 22/12/13.”