Police worker suspended by force over assault

COURT CHARGE ... police worker Jordan Harwood.
COURT CHARGE ... police worker Jordan Harwood.

A POLICE community support officer from South Tyneside has been suspended from duty after assaulting his partner during a night out in Scotland.

Jordan Harwood struck the woman during an argument in a street in Perth, Scotland.

Harwood, of Mortimer Road, South Shields, pleaded guilty to a charge of assault at Perth Sheriff Court last month and was fined £400.

Northumbria Police confirmed that the 29-year-old has been suspended from duty until an internal inquiry into the case is concluded.

The court heard that Harwood and his partner had been out with friends in a restaurant when trouble flared.

Harwood was captured on CCTV striking her with his hand, and she fell to the ground.

The assault happened on Saturday, May 17, at Queen’s Bridge in Perth, and Harwood spent the rest of the weekend behind bars until his case was heard at the Perthshire court the following Monday.

Superintendent Dave Byrne, of Northumbria Police, said: “We expect the highest standard of our staff whether on or off duty, and any breaches will be carefully considered and, where necessary, suitable disciplinary action will be taken.”

Harwood has been a community support officer for the force for over eight years.

In August 2010, he was knocked off his pedal bike in Hebburn by a motorcyclist being pursued by police.

The rider had given officers the slip, and a radio alert was sent out to police in the neighbourhood.

The community support officer recognised the defendant’s name and guessed the potential route he would take home.

Harwood decided to sit and wait for him down a street he knew he would use and rode out into the road on his bike, ordering the motorcyclist to pull over.

The rider rode straight at Harwood, hitting the officer’s legs as he dived out of the way.

Harwood suffered leg injuries and was off work for three and a half months.

In an interview with the Gazette after Davison was jailed for two and a half years, Harwood said: “At the time, all I was thinking about was the safety of people in the park.

“There were dogs and kids running about, and he could have hit any one of those.”

Twitter: @shieldsgazchris