Six arrests after man stabbed in South Shields street ‘carnage’

Richmond Road, South Shields.
Richmond Road, South Shields.

Six people have been arrested after a suspected stab attack in South Tyneside left a man in hospital.

A huge emergency services response was sparked after the incident in Richmond Road, South Shields at 7.40pm last night.

Richmond Road, South Shields.

Richmond Road, South Shields.

Th 34-year-old victim was taken to South Tyneside Hospital after suffering a head wound and an injury to his hand in the assault.

He is still receiving treatment at the hospital, with his condition not believed to be life-threatening.

An eye-witness, who asked not to be named, said a man had been seen outside a block of flats at the junction of Stanhope Road and Talbot Road holding what appeared to be an iron bar or pipe.

He described seeing a man with his ‘head covered in blood’ a few minutes later near the flats before ‘convulsing’ in the street.

He was given first aid treatment by police at the scene before paramedics arrived to provide medical assistance and transport the man to hospital.

The stunned resident saw a ‘sudden rush of blue lights and sirens’ as police raced to the scene in the wake of the stab attack.

The area outside the flats was sealed off by police for over an hour as investigations were carried out.

The witness said: “I stuck my head out of the window and saw a sudden rush of blue lights and sirens.

“I saw a guy appear from the block of flats with his head covered in blood.

“He had a nasty open wound to his head and a bad hand injury.

“The guy was in a hell of a mess.

“He started convulsing on the street.

“He was assisted by police while he was on the ground before the paramedics took over and took him to hospital.

“It was clear this was not your average scrap in the street.

“It was carnage.

“It was quite a shock for everyone on the street.

“There were between eight and 10 police cars at the scene.”

Three men aged 32, 26, 20 and a 22-year-old woman have been arrested on suspicion of affray, while a man aged 45 and a 44-year-old woman are still being quizzed on suspicion of assisting an offender.

It is thought that all those involved are known to each other and police are carrying out extra patrols in the area.

A spokeswoman for the North East Ambulance Service said: “We were called at 7.48pm. Our rapid response arrived at 7.56pm, backed up by an ambulance at 8.11pm. We took one patient to South Tyneside Hospital.”