South Shields dad banned after crashing into traffic lights while over the drink-drive limit

A South Tyneside man has been banned from driving after crashing his car at traffic lights while over the limit.

Thursday, 16th January 2020, 6:00 am
Updated Thursday, 16th January 2020, 11:35 am

Christopher John Lisle, 36, contacted the police himself following the collision on the westbound carriageway of the A194 on December 6 last year.

He admitted a charge of driving with excess alcohol when he appeared before South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court.

Clare Irving, prosecuting, said Lisle, of Hartington Terrace, South Shields, hit the traffic lights and there was no other vehicle involved in the incident.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The case was heard at South Tyneside Magistrates' Court.

She said: “The collision was forceful enough that the airbags deployed.

“Officers were travelling towards the car and when they reached the defendant he was in the process of ringing the police himself.

“He said ‘I am really sorry, I was just travelling too fast and misjudged it. I have had too much to drink, I am going to fail that.”

He was breathalysed at the scene and found to have 53 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath, with the limit being 35.

Ms Irving said Lisle, who is married with one son, is of previous good character with no previous cautions or convictions.

Michelle Stoney, defending, said: “Mr Lisle had no intention to drink and drive.”

She said he was out with friends and was persuaded to stay longer than he intended and due to peer pressure had a few drinks.

Ms Stoney said he made the mistake of deciding to drive and it was an icy evening and he was driving a bit too fast towards the lights for the weather conditions.

She said: “To his credit he remained at the scene. He was already on the telephone to the police reporting the incident when the officers came by.

“He is extremely embarrassed at being in court today, he was extremely embarrassed and upset at the police station.

“He appreciates how lucky he is that no-one was hurt in the collision.”

Lisle was fined £900 and ordered to pay £85 costs and a £90 surcharge. He was banned from driving for 18 months.