South Shields knifeman jailed after leaving victim with two stab wounds in terrifying attack

A knifeman who inflicted two stab wounds has been put behind bars.

Tuesday, 4th February 2020, 9:55 am

Jack Ferguson plunged a blade into Graham Carr's abdomen and cut his hand and left him hospitalised overnight.

Newcastle Crown Court heard the 21-year-old attacker had lashed out with the weapon without warning when he saw his victim at the home of a rival last June.

Ferguson, formerly of Widdrington Avenue, South Shields admitted wounding with intent and pleaded guilty to common assault on his then girlfriend, who he hit in the face with a baseball cap after the stabbing.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Jack Ferguson

Judge Tim Gittins jailed him for a total of four years and eight months.

The judge told the court that the attack could have been fatal and it was fortunate it was not a deep cut.

The victim in the case also made a impact statement which was read in court stating: “He could have killed me.”

The judge said: "It was more than one blow in the sense he had tried to grab the knife off you.

Marlon Mabrouk

"He received a defensive cut to his wrist and thereafter you stabbed him in the upper part of his stomach, his abdomen.

"Fortunately, it transpired it was not a deep cut but he required cleaning and suturing and an overnight stay in hospital to ensure there was no underlying damage.

"It was was serious enough, but it could have been so much more dangerous, if not fatal.

"There are always unpredictable outcomes when you stab someone in the region of their stomach, where there are vital organs."

In a victim statement, made after Ferguson pleaded guilty, Mr Carr said: "I am pleased this male is off the streets and can't do this to any other innocent members of the public.

"I still have flashbacks but they are not happening as often, I think because I know the man responsible is locked away.

"I feel a lot safer walking the streets.

"I am angry towards him.

"I didn't know him that well.

"He could have killed me.

"I feel like I can now start to get on with my life again."

The court heard after the stabbing Marlon Mabrouk, 24, of Gainsborough Avenue, South Shields, confronted Ferguson with a machete.

Ferguson picked up a piece of wood in retaliation but the police arrived and both men were arrested before anybody was hurt.

Mabrouk admitted threatening another with an offensive weapon and has been sentenced to 12 months imprisonment, suspended for 18 months, with 200 hours unpaid work and rehabilitation requirements.

Jonathan Pigford, defending Ferguson, handed in references to the former bricklayer's "courteous and respectful" character and said he has worked hard completing courses while on remand.

Mr Pigford said Ferguson had a troubled past and a history of mental health problems.

Gavin Doig, defending Mabrouk, said: "Trouble came to him and he responded inappropriately".

Mr Doig said Mabrouk has made "tremendous progress" in his life and will co-operate with the probation service.