South Shields pensioner, 71, jailed after sex attack on child in Morrisons supermarket

A pervert pensioner who performed a sex act on a young schoolboy in a supermarket toilet has been put behind bars.

Monday, 22nd July 2019, 2:14 pm
Updated Tuesday, 23rd July 2019, 10:49 am

John Caizley carried out the sickening attack in a cubicle at Morrisons in Jarrow before the youngster managed to push him away.

The boy told police he had told the 71-year-old to "stop" but added: "He didn't stop.”

Newcastle Crown Court heard the young victim told his parents what had happened.

John Caizley carried out the sickening attack in a cubicle at Morrisons in Jarrow before the youngster managed to push him away.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Caizley, of Chaucer Avenue, South Shields, denied any wrongdoing but was convicted by a jury after a trial at Newcastle Crown Court in May.

Judge Stephen Earl has now sentenced Caizley to four years behind bars with an order to sign the sex offenders register and abide by a sexual harm prevention order for life.

Judge Earl said witnesses said the pensioner appeared as a "kindly, grandfather type figure".

The judge added: "I am conscious he is going to be the subject of orders that are going to manage the risk the probation service has indicated in this matter, that he is a low risk of harm generally to society and a medium risk of harm to children."

Jo Kidd, defending, said Caizley had been driven out of his home by vigilantes after the conviction, while he was on bail awaiting sentence.

Miss Kidd added: "The impact on his life and his accommodation has been significant.

"Following his conviction, the home where he lived then was subjected to criminal damage by vigilantes so for the last two months he has been supported, sleeping on the sofa of a friend."

Miss Kidd said Caizley has significant health problems and has never been in prison before.

She added: "There is nothing I can say about the offences themselves as he continues to maintain his innocence."

Prosecutor Paul Reid told jurors during the trial the police were immediately involved when the boy told his parents what had happened to him during the shopping trip.

Caizley, who has no previous similar convictions, told detectives he had "no idea" why the allegations were made against him.

He was convicted by the jury of three offences of sexual assault and two of causing or inciting a child to engage in sexual activity.