South Shields yob jailed after urine poured over two cops in riot gear called to rowdy party

A yob who acted like “an animal” in a group attack in which urine was poured over police was jailed for Christmas.

By Gareth Crickmer
Wednesday, 30th December 2020, 7:00 am
Updated Wednesday, 30th December 2020, 9:54 am

Shaven-headed menace Peter Barclay, 36, was one of the men behind the sickening 6.40am attack at a multi-occupancy property in Beach Road, South Shields.

Barclay, now of Tees Court, South Shields, and his pals boozed all night against the wishes of staff on Wednesday, February 19, a court heard.

They then barricaded themselves in Barclay’s room when police were called to break up their party – forcing officers to don body armour.

Peter Barclay

As two PCs inched their way in, two bottles of urine appeared over the top of the door.

The contents of the doused the officers, drenching them from head to toe and forcing them off duty.

Prosecutor Becky Slade said Barclay shouted, “You come in here and you’re going to get hurt” – and the men also threatened to throw faeces.

Both policemen described the assailants as acting like animals or being “animalistic” - and one of the officers stated he should not have to play the role of zookeeper while on duty.

Magistrates in South Tyneside said it was vital 999 teams were protected from such assaults – and jailed Barclay for 23 weeks.

John Lee, chairman of the magistrates’ bench, told Barclay, who has 38 previous convictions: “We’ve heard the victim personal statements from the officers.

“One described you as acting like an animal, and the other of animalistic behaviour, but both are wrong. Animals don’t act in such a disgraceful manner.”

Ms Slade said: “The officers were called to Flat 4. They went to the room and two men and Mr Barclay were present.

“The men had been up all night, drinking and playing music, and they had barricaded the door.

“The police attempted to open the door, but it remained barricaded. The men threatened to throw faeces and urine at them.

“They saw a bottle above the door and it was spilled over [one of the officer’s] helmet and shield. Mr Barclay shouted, ‘You come in here and you’re going to get hurt’.”

Ms Slade added: “Another bottle appeared at the door, with what the officers thought was urine. It covered the other officer.

“One of the men then threatened to set the place on fire.”

Police could not identify who had poured the contents, but Barclay pleaded guilty to two charges of common assault of an emergency worker.

Another man was given a conditional discharge, while the third was not charged.

John Wesencraft, defending, said: “This offence illustrates his two major problems – drinking, and authority figures.

“He has come to the conclusion that he has a problem with drink. He only uses drugs when he drinks. There is light at the end of the tunnel.”

Barclay was sentenced to 23 weeks in jail for one assault and 18 weeks for the second, to run concurrently.

He must pay each officer £150 in compensation, and a £126 victim surcharge and £85 court costs.

Read More

Read More
South Shields cystic fibrosis sufferer says surfing has changed his life and hel...

Support your Gazette and become a subscriber today. Enjoy unlimited access to local news, the latest football stories and new puzzles every day. With a digital subscription, you can see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Click here to subscribe.