South Shields yob who attacked former partner is given last chance to stay out of jail

Newcastle Crown Court.
Newcastle Crown Court.

A thug who threw a piece of wood at his former partner and broke her finger has been spared jail.

Carl Beadle attacked his ex-lover following an argument over him wanting to stay at a friend's place.

An argument erupted and the victim then told Beadle to move out - to which he flipped and launched the stray piece of wood at her.

The 32-year-old then grabbed her hand, causing her to sustain a broken finger during the scuffle.

Prosecutor David Crook told Newcastle Crown Court how the victim needed metal screws and pins put in her hand to aid with recovery.

He said: "He threw a piece of wood. Then he grabbed her hand.

"She confirmed that her finger was broken and she had to make an appointment at the fractures clinic.

"She had been told that she needed to have two screws placed into her finger.

"The injury was serious."

The court was also told how Beadle had a number of previous convictions, including possession of a bladed article, common assault and wounding with intent.

In 2014, he was jailed for 36 weeks after choking a different former partner.

Beadle was initially due to stand trial on charges of common assault and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

However, on the day of trial the victim decided she did not wish to be involved and the defendant pleaded guilty to ABH.

Defence barrister Vic Laffey suggested that the judge suspend the sentence.

Recorder Tony Hedworth QC said: "This is an offence that is not as serious as at first blush.

"The custody threshold is passed but I think at this stage it is worth seeing if he can take the assistance of the probation service.

"If there are any incidents of violence you will straight to prison for this."

Beadle, of Egerton Road, South Shields, was given a 18-week sentence suspended for two years.

He was also ordered to 40 hours of rehabilitation and must complete a building relationships course.