Teenager faces being locked up for four years for raping young boy

editorial image

A teenager from South Tyneside who raped a young boy has been told he could be locked up for four years.

The 16-year-old forced the child to perform a sexual act and also performed a sex act on the victim during two separate incidents in as many months.

The youth was convicted of two counts of rape of a child and one charge of inciting a boy to engage in sexual activity following a two-day trial at South Tyneside Youth Court last month.

He was back at court following the completion of a pre-sentence report by the youth offending service.

But District Judge Roger Elsey decided the matters were so serious that the sentence should be decided at Newcastle Crown Court.

The court heard that the offences have had a ‘significant impact’ on the young victim.

Mark Guiliani, prosecuting, said: “This was a grave crime.

“The crown’s position is that the sentencing powers of this court are insufficient.

“A crown court sentence could approach four years.”

The court heard that the defendant continues to deny the offences following his conviction.

But David Hatfield, defending, said he would comply with any order placed on him by the court.

Mr Hatfield said: “He denies the offence. But he accepts that he has been convicted and will do whatever he is asked to do by the youth offending service.”

District Judge Elsey, committing sentencing to Newcastle Crown Court, said that the crown court would be able to consider a sentence of four years.

DJ Elsey said: “I have decided on balance, the appropriate venue is the crown court.

“I have decided the appropriate venue for sentencing is the crown court.

“I say that because the court would have to consider a sentence in excess of what this court can impose.

“There are aggravating features. I’m informed that the offences have had a significant impact upon the victim.

The defendant will be sentenced at Newcastle Crown Court on October 12.

He was granted conditional bail until then.