Three teens arrested after man attacked and robbed in South Shields street

A man has been taken hospital following an attack in a South Shields in the early hours of the morning as officers confirm three teenagers have been arrested.
Watch more of our videos on Shots!
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

Shortly after 3.15am today (Wednesday, January 6) police were called by a member of the public who claimed a fight had broken out on Temple Park Road in South Shields.

It was reported that a man was on the ground and being attacked by three others. The attackers then hopped over a fence and made off from the scene – leaving their victim in the road.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Officers were deployed and arrived at the scene in six minutes and quickly located the victim, 24.

Three teenagers, one aged 18 and the others aged 17, have been arrested on suspicion of robbery.Three teenagers, one aged 18 and the others aged 17, have been arrested on suspicion of robbery.
Three teenagers, one aged 18 and the others aged 17, have been arrested on suspicion of robbery.

He was taken to hospital as a precaution after suffering injuries to his eye and bruises. He also disclosed to police that his attackers – all of whom were believed to be known to him - had stolen his mobile phone.

A swift search of the area led to cops spotting three men who matched the description of the alleged attackers at Tyne Dock Metro Station.

The males, one of whom was aged 18 and the other two aged 17, were arrested on suspicion of robbery and taken into custody. Upon searching the suspects, police also found one to be in possession of a Class C drug.

Read More
Top 10 South Shields crime hot spots revealed in new figures
Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Detective Chief Inspector Michelle Robson, of Northumbria Police, said: “Thankfully, a member of the public heard the commotion outside and rightly contacted us. Their actions allowed us to deploy officers to the scene quickly to ensure the victim was located and vital evidence secured.

“What followed was some excellent police work as officers searched the area, aided by the information supplied by the witness and victim, and it was only a matter of time before we spotted three men who roused suspicion near Tyne Dock Metro Station.

“They were then placed under arrest and now remain in police custody where they will be interviewed in connection with the attack.”

Adding: “We will not tolerate violence on our streets and will use every tactic at our disposal to ensure offenders are identified, arrested and ultimately put before the courts.”

Enquiries are ongoing into the incident.

Support your Gazette and become a subscriber today. Enjoy unlimited access to local news, the latest football stories and new puzzles every day. With a digital subscription, you can see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Click here to subscribe.