Thug attacked girlfriend over Facebook photos row

editorial image

A “RECKLESS” thug repeatedly punched and kicked his girlfriend because of an argument over holiday photos posted on Facebook.

Ryan Anderson, of Nelson Avenue, South Shields, launched a vicious assault on his partner, who he had been in a relationship with for two years.

The 21-year-old landed several powerful blows before pushing his partner down the stairs.

His victim suffered a broken finger, as well as injuries to her teeth and thigh, during her harrowing ordeal, which took place on December 5 last year.

Anderson was given a 12-month community order after pleading guilty to assault causing actual bodily harm at Newcastle Crown Court.

The court was told the couple split up over previous violence in the relationship, but got back together in August last year.

But on December 5, an argument broke out over a number of photos of the victim that had been uploaded on Facebook.

Diane Spence, prosecuting, said: “An argument developed over photos put on Facebook by his girlfriend from a holiday.

“It was a sustained assault with repeated punching and kicking of the body.

“She was seen by a doctor.

“She suffered injuries to her right thigh, and scratch marks over her right cheek. She also fractured her middle left finger.

“There was reference to some damage to the victim’s teeth, a broken crown.”

As a result of the injury to her left finger, his girlfriend had an operation and required a metal plate fitted to keep it straight, the court heard.

In a personal statement read out to the court, the victim, who was 18 at the time of the attack, said her confidence had been affected by the relationship with Anderson, and she has been receiving counselling.

She also revealed she still experiences problems with her finger and will require another operation.

Passing sentence, Recorder Rodney Jameson QC branded Anderson’s actions as “reckless”.

He said: “It was reckless, causing actual bodily harm by pushing her away at which she fell down the stairs.

“She ended up with bumps and bruises, which have caused her trouble and required significant therapy.

“You are still a young man – you have a fair bit of growing up to do.

“Try do it as quickly as you can.”

Anderson was given a 12-month community order, including supervision during that period, and is required to attend a domestic violence programme.

Defending, Tom Moran, said that since the attack Anderson had been making positive strides to find a job.

He added: “The less said about the incident the better – it was a reckless act.

“It wasn’t entirely of his own making.”

Twitter: @shieldsgazette