Thug attacks her ex, then her brother – then knocks her mother unconscious

editorial image

A DRUNKEN THUG assaulted his former partner and her brother before knocking her mother unconscious with a single blow, a court heard.

Ian Greener had been drinking lager and spirits before taking a taxi to confront his ex at her mother’s home in South Shields.

The 28-year-old – who is subject to a restraining order barring contact with the woman – pushed his former girlfriend and attempted to strike her with a step ladder.

When her brother stepped in, Greener punched him three times, leaving him with a burst lip and a cut to the left eyebrow that required two stitches.

He then hit his former partner’s mother outside her home and she was knocked out for two minutes when her head hit the pavement.

Greener, of Grosvenor Road, South Shields, pleaded guilty to one count of assault causing actual bodily harm, two counts of assault by beating and a further charge of using threatening and abusive language.

He also admitted a charge of criminal damage, after he hit a neighbour’s car while throwing rocks and plant pots at the three victims.

The offences all took place on Thursday, December 10.

The court heard that Greener had been in a relationship with the injured party for two years, which she broke off in April of last year.

Magistrates decided the offence was so serious that the case should be dealt with at Newcastle Crown Court.

But they granted him bail ahead of his sentencing date in the New Year – despite the prosecution calling for him to be remanded in custody.

Jeanette Smith, prosecuting, said: “He was violent towards his partner during the relationship and a restraining order was put in place.”

“On the day in question, Greener admitted he had been drinking lager and spirits and was very drunk. He made his way to the outhouse of the property through a side door.

“He had a verbal altercation with his ex and tried to strike her with a small stepladder. Her brother intervened and Greener punched him three times.

“Greener then went to the front of the house and got in an argument with his former partner’s mum, also throwing rocks and plant plots at the victims. He then leant back and punched his former partner’s mother. She instantly lost consciousness and hit her head on the pavement, where she remained unconscious for two minutes.”

She added: “Police and the ambulance service were called. Greener fled the scene on foot but the mother had CCTV at the property, which captured the entire incident.”

Greener was arrested by police a week after the assault.

Ian Haq, defending, said Greener had lost medication he had been taking for depression and a personality disorder when the assault took place.

Mr Haq said: “He had no recollection of the incident. it was all a blur to him. When he was shown the CCTV of the incident by police, he broke down in tears.

“He is a man with mental health issues. When he is sentenced at the crown court, the defence will call for a suspended sentence rather than immediate custody.”

Greener was committed to Newcastle Crown Court, for a hearing in the week commencing January 12.

He was granted bail in the mean time, with the conditions he does not contact prosecution witnesses, stays outside of an exclusion area given to him in court and keeps to a 6pm to 6am curfew each day until his next court date.

Twitter @shieldsgazchris