Violent teen locked up for attacks with a skateboard and a bottle

editorial image

A TEENAGER from South Tyneside has been put behind bars after two violent attacks left his frightened victims battered and bleeding.

The 16-year-old, who cannot be named, attacked a teenager at a skate park at Tyne Street, Jarrow, kicking him in the face and hitting him across the head with a skateboard.

Two months later he hit a 20-year-old man in the street in South Shields with a glass bottle until it broke and then kicked him when he fell to the ground.

At Newcastle Crown Court yesterday Judge Paul Sloan QC sentenced the youth, who has previous convictions, to a 12 month detention and training order.

The youth pleaded guilty to assault, common assault and unlawful wounding and the six months he has already served on remand will not count towards the sentence.

Judge Sloan refused an application from the press that an order preventing the publication of the youth’s identity should be lifted.

Judge Sloan told the boy: “The first attack was sustained and involved the use of weapons. Both feet and a skateboard were involved.

“The second was also a sustained attack using a weapon. You were drunk at the time and on bail. If you continue offending in this way as an adult, you will be receiving very substantial prison sentences.

“Continue this type of offending into adulthood and you will be locked up for years.”

Bob Spragg, prosecuting, told the court the victim of the skateboard attack was the target of three youths who had stormed into the park looking for trouble.

Mr Spragg said: “This youth kicked him in the head. He then picked up a skateboard and hit him over the back of the head.”

The victim of that attack needed wounds to his eyebrow and scalp treated in hospital.

The second attack was on a man who was waiting for a friend at Stanhope Way, South Shields.

The youth and a pal approached the 20-year-old and asked him for a cigarette before launching the attack.

Mr Spragg said: “The defendant repeatedly punched him to the head. The second male handed a bottle to him and he used it strike the victim a number of times on the head. This broke the bottle and caused him to fall to the ground.”

The court heard both youths then kicked the victim as he lay helpless.

Vic Laffey, defending, said the teenager has responded well to his time on remand.

He said: “He fully accepts he was completely off the rails. He is embarrassed and ashamed of the problems he has caused. It appears the penny has dropped.”