Witness tells of horror stab attack on South Shields OAP

KNIFE ATTACK ... an 80-year-old man was stabbed outside his home in Hylton Avenue, South Shields.
KNIFE ATTACK ... an 80-year-old man was stabbed outside his home in Hylton Avenue, South Shields.

A MAN told of his horror at seeing a neighbour repeatedly stabbed on his driveway in South Tyneside.

The 21-year-old was in his living room in Hylton Avenue, Harton, South Shields, on Thursday night when he heard a commotion outside and saw a woman in the street drop her shopping bags in shock.

When he went outside to see what was going on, he saw his elderly neighbour lying on his driveway being stabbed repeatedly by another man.

Within minutes, the quiet street was filled with police and paramedics.

The pensioner, named locally as John Blakey, was rushed to South Tyneside District Hospital before being transferred to Newcastle’s Royal Victoria Infirmary for treatment to his stab wounds.

A 49-year-old man was arrested at the scene on suspicion of attempted murder.

He was still being quizzed by police last night.

Mr Blakey, aged 80, was said to be in a serious but stable condition.

The witness, who did not want to be named, said: “I was watching television when I heard a noise outside.

“There was a woman on the other side of the road who I saw drop her bags and run. A group of kids were also there and did the same thing.

“I went out and saw a man stabbing the old man who lives there.

“The lads were on the phone to the paramedics, who I could hear giving advice on how to help the man on the floor.”

The neighbour then saw police arrive and make an arrest.

He added: “I could hear them shouting to drop the knife and then they led a man away. There was blood everywhere.

“The man on the floor was covered in it.

“It’s pretty scary to think that this happened in our street.”

Another neighbour said: “I’m really shocked to think that someone has been stabbed in this street.”

A police spokesman said: “We received a report at 7pm on Thursday of a stabbing in Hylton Avenue.

“An 80-year-old man was found with wounds. He was taken to Newcastle’s Royal Victoria Infirmary, where he remains in a serious but stable condition.

“A 49-year-old man was arrested and remains in police custody.”

A spokeswoman for the ambulance service said: “A man, 80, had suffered several knife wounds.

“Paramedics treated him at the scene for major blood loss and he was taken to hospital.

“There were reports that there was someone with a knife. He was dealt with by police.”

Any witnesses, or anyone with information, should call police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

Twitter: @ShieldsGazCrime