Dad's disbelief at delay over play shed for disabled daughter

An angry dad has been left confused as to why he needs permission to build a play shed for his disabled daughter and their birds.

Monday, 7th March 2016, 5:00 am
Vincent Pool and his daughter Louise with material for the shed they want in their back garden.

Vincent Pool spent £500 on buying wood to create the shed for his nine-year-old daughter Ellouise, which he hopes to turn into a sensory room. Ellouise has been diagnosed with hyper mobility and Marfan’s Syndrome – a genetic disorder that affects the body’s connective tissue – a disorder her mum Paula, who died on Christmas Day 2013, also suffered from.

This means it’s a struggle for her to run about and play, so Mr Pool wanted to create a special and fun place for her in their back garden.

But Mr Pool, who moved into the South Tyneside Homes property in Landseer Gardens, Whiteleas, South Shields, last November, said he’s been told by housing bosses that he needs permission to build the shed.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Mr Pool, who also has a range of mobility problems – including having metal pins fitted into his legs, said: “I’ve already bought all of the materials needed and then I was told I’d need to apply for permission. I wanted to be able to create a sensory room for Ellouise and turn the other half into a home for our birds which are currently in the upstairs bedroom. I’ve never heard of having to ask permission to build a shed, people build and buy them all of the time.

“It’s not like I was planning on attaching it to the house or anything like that, it’s just a shed.”

South Tyneside Homes has confirmed that a tenant’s alteration form must be filled in before major or structural changes can take place.

A spokesman said: “All tenants are asked to complete a tenant’s alteration form before embarking on major or structural changes to their home.

“Mr Pool has retrospectively submitted an alteration form to build the shed which we are currently assessing.

“We will consider his proposals to see if they comply with his tenancy agreement as well as the potential impact on his neighbours and the area in terms of noise and health and safety.

“Once his application has been assessed, we will advise him in writing of the decision.”