'Disappointed' Jamaal Lascelles reacts to England snub '“ and makes Newcastle pledge

Newcastle United captain Jamaal Lascelles has told of his disappointment at missing out on a place in the England squad.

Friday, 16th March 2018, 8:22 am
Updated Friday, 16th March 2018, 8:55 am
Jamaal Lascelles
Jamaal Lascelles

Lascelles, outstanding for Rafa Benitez's side this season, had been tipped for a call-up for the games against Italy and Holland.

However, England manager Gareth Southgate instead turned to uncapped pair Alfie Mawson (Swansea City) and James Tarkowski (Burnley).

Read More

Read More
Alan Shearer reacts after Jamaal Lascelles and Jonjo Shelvey miss out on England...

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Speaking from Newcastle's training camp in Spain, Lascelles, 24, told NUFC TV: "I was kind of waiting to see what would happen.

“I thought that I might have had a good chance. I was disappointed when I found out the (England) team.

“Fair play to the boys who have been selected, I wish them all the best. I will keep trying my best for Newcastle.

“That is my main focus, because I need to concentrate on Newcastle, do well in the league, and whatever happens, happens.

“But congratulation to the players that have been selected."