Discarded cylinder found near grass fire in Jarrow causes concern for firefighters

editorial image

A discarded cylinder caused safety concerns for firefighters tackling a grass fire.

Crews from South Shields were called to Beaumont Terrace, Jarrow at 4.40pm, yesterday.

Grass had been set alight.

However, an acetleyne cylinder spotted amongst the undergrowth led to firefighters remaining on site longer than needed, to ensure it was cooled down.

Firefighters left the area at 6.30pm after the cylinder was made safe.