Doum and gloom at Newcastle '“ signing joy but but dismay over Saido Berahino failure

Newcastle United were the January transfer window's biggest Premier League spenders '“ but failed to land Saido Berahino.

By The Newsroom
Tuesday, 2nd February 2016, 5:30 am
Seydou Doumbia
Seydou Doumbia

The relegation-threatened club spent almost £30million on three signings – Andros Townsend, Jonjo Shelvey and Henri Saivet – last month.

And United also brought in loanee Seydou Doumbia on dealine day yesterday.

Saido Berahino

But Newcastle’s club-record bid of £21million was not enough to sign No 1 striking target Saido Berahino, while Loic Remy – who had also interested the club – stayed at Chelsea.

West Bromwich Albion refused to entertain any transfer-window bids for unsettled Berahino.

The 22-year-old had reacted angrily last September after Jeremy Peace, the club’s chairman, blocked a move to Tottenham Hotspur, but he was more guarded on Twitter last night.

Berahino tweeted: “Everyone waiting once again for the silly little spoilt boy to make same mistake so here you go.

Saido Berahino

“Goodnight all and thanks for the support.”

United head coach Steve McClaren had been keen to see a proven Premier League goalscorer arrive at the 18th-placed club, which takes on Everton in the Premier League tomorrow night.

Winger Townsend, signed for £12million last week, is expected to make his debut at Goodison Park.

But it remains to be seen whether striker Doumbia, signed on a six-month loan from AS Roma, will be involved.

“It has always been a dream to play in the Premier League,” said the 28-year-old.

“Now that dream has come true, so I’m absolutely delighted.”

United also signed up Ayoze Perez yesterday.

The club revealed that the 22-year-old had penned a new five-and-a-half-year deal at St James’s Park.

Perez’s new deal at Newcastle, agreed last month, recognises the forward’s contribution to the cause since his move from Tenerife as an unknown 18 months ago.

“Newcastle gave me everything, and I’m really pleased to sign this new contract,” said Perez.

United had also wanted to sign a left-back on loan as cover for Paul Dummett, but the club, having missed out on targets Lucas Orban Guilherme Siqueira, passed on the chance to re-sign Jose Enrique.

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp had floated the idea of a six-month loan.

Meanwhile, Olympique Marseille are understood to have activated a £6million buy-out clause in Remy Cabella’s loan deal.

Cabella joined the club last summer on the same day Florian Thauvin headed the opposite direction.

Thauvin rejoined Marseille on a six-month loan over the weekend.