Plans which will see another 291 homes being built in Hebburn are set to get the green light.
An application for the homes to be built on land south of Monkton Lane, Hebburn, will be heard at South Tyneside Council’s planning committee at Jarrow Town Hall on Monday.
At the meeting, councillors will learn more details about the planned two-storey buildings’ layouts and designs.
The new homes will be in addition to the 157 houses which were built by Taylor Wimpey and Barratt Homes earlier this year.
This is the first major housing built in Hebburn since the 1950s.
Coun John McCabe, a representative for Hebburn south, says he is looking forward to this final phase starting.
He believes the completion of the new properties could start a ‘chain reaction’ and help reduce the 5,518 people who are currently on the waiting list for a council house in the borough.
He said: “There are massive housing problems, not just in our borough, but across the country.
“These new builds may mean that people who are currently renting from the council may want to move over and rent from private landlords in these new builds.
“That in turn will mean someone on the list could move into a council property. It could start a chain reaction.”
Coun McCabe says residents have already settle in well into the first phase of houses built.
He added: “It’s been wonderful welcoming new people to our town. Residents have settled in well and many even voted in the recent election.”
The planning committee will take place at 10am.