Family's campaign after boy dies from eating pasta
A devoted dad is raising money in memory of his son who died last year after eating a plate of spaghetti while on holiday with his family in Italy.
Cameron Wahid went into anaphylactic shock and collapsed shortly after eating a pasta meal containing dairy ingredients at a restaurant on the Amalfi Coast in Sorrento.
A doctor on the scene managed to revive the seven-year-old and he was taken to a local hospital, but his condition deteriorated further and he was flown by helicopter to a specialist children's hospital in Naples, where he died on October 30 last year.
Cameron's father Riz Wahid has spoken for the first time about the ordeal that has left him determined to build a legacy for his son.
He said: "We don't want parents to go through what we went through, I'm not going to lie it has been hell - but although there is nothing that can bring him back, we are trying to give him a legacy.
"A lot of people think that an allergy is just a rash or some hives, but this incident shows it can result in death."
The 37-year-old father from East Grinstead, West Sussex, explained that Cameron's younger brother Aidan is devastated by the loss of his sibling, but Riz wants to ensure that Cameron is remembered for making a difference to other people's lives.
He said: "We just hope that it is making a difference and that these tragic circumstances can lead to a healthier community.
"When Aidan grows up I want him to be able to look on the internet and see the difference his brother made."
Riz has become an ambassador for Allergy UK and has also set up Cameron Wahid Allergy Awareness Fundraising Limited to raise awareness about people who suffer from various allergies.
He added: "Restaurants need to not put profit over health, allergy listing should be available on menus so that people know what ingredients are in the food.
"I don't want families to become complacent either, since Cameron's tragic death I know of friends in the town who now carry their EpiPen when they didn't before."