Drivers using the Tyne Tunnels faced extra delays this morning when the crossing was closed both ways by a fire alarm.
Crews from Jarrow fire station attended after a fire was caused by overheating equipment.
“The call came in at 8.06am – it was a small fire in the electrical circuitry in one of the Tyne Tunnel’s boiler rooms,” said a Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service.
“Tyne Tunnel staff had put the fire out before we got there. Our crews used thermal imaging cameras to make sure there were no latent heat spots that could have flared up later.
“The stop message was received at 8.29am.”
The tunnels were open again both ways by 8.30am.