Fire crews called to South Shields garage blaze

editorial image

Firefighters tackled an electrical fire in a commercial garage in South Shields in the early hours of this morning.

The fire broke out at the front of the 15 by three metre premises, in Maxwell Street, at shortly after 4am on Saturday.

Two fire engines and eight firefighters from South Shields fire station responded to the alarm, which came in at 4.13am.

Crews used Holmatro spreading equipment to gain entry through a roller shutter door.

They then used two hose reels and four breathing apparatus, to put out the blaze in electrical equipment, along with a positive pressure ventilation van.

A thermal imaging camera was used to ensure no hotspots remained.

Fire damage was caused to 30 per cent of the front of the premises, and 80 per of the rest of the building was damaged by smoke.