Fire service issues warning over online craze of microwaving tinfoil

Fire chiefs have urged people not to fall for an online claim which could prove deadly.

Monday, 9th April 2018, 7:42 pm
Updated Monday, 9th April 2018, 8:06 pm
Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service has issues a plea for those with children to be ware of the craze of putting tinfoil in a microwave.

Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service has issued an appeal warning those with younger children to be ware of a trend for putting tinfoil in a microwave.

A spokesman for the service said: "One of the latest crazes to go viral is the promise that if you place a scrunched up ball of tin foil in your microwave for six to seven minutes, you will create a beautiful smooth silver orb.

"The truth is not only doesn't this work, but the likely results will be a microwave fire, and significant damage to your kitchen and your electrics.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

"So, we need you to talk to your children and advise them about the dangers of placing foil in a microwave and why it's important that they don't even try."

For more information about the service's community safety work, click here.