`

Firefighters praise staff after blaze breaks out in South Tyneside gym

Powerhouse Gym in South Shields.
Powerhouse Gym in South Shields.

Firefighters have praised the actions of staff after a blaze broke out at a South Tyneside gym.

The workers at Powerhouse Gym in South Shields were quick to evacuate the premises and tackle the blaze this afternoon.

The fire broke out in the gym's sauna and is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault.

Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service crews were called to the North Street premises at around 1.30pm today, but when they arrived the owner had managed to put out the blaze using a fire extinguisher.

Watch manager Ed Cooper, of South Shields Fire Station, said: "The staff did a really good job in evacuating the premises quickly and stopping the fire from spreading. It could have been a lot worse."

He said the sauna was 50% damaged by the blaze and the building was heavily smoke-logged.

Watch manager Cooper said: "We made the premises safe.

"The whole building was full of smoke, so we put fans in and cleared the premises."