Crews from Hebburn and South Shields were sent to Johnston Street in Hebburn just before 8pm yesterday, Sunday, February 7, following reports of a fire.
A tealight had been left on top of a unit close to a door, with the flame spreading to clothes on the back of a door.
The teams used a hose reel to put out the blaze, which left the room damaged by smoke.
The 16 places where most crime was reported across South Tyneside in June
‘Sinister’ paedophile watched children play and offered them doughnuts after moving into new neighbourhood
Extension plans rejected for South Shields home
‘It could have been much worse’ – see pictures of fire devastation at Hebburn home
Angry patient trashed doors at South Tyneside District Hospital after falling asleep and missing treatment
The fire service is urging people to ensure they have working smoke alarms as it sets out advice about using candles.
A spokesperson for Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service said: “At 7.53pm, we received reports of a house fire on Johnston Street.
"Crews from Hebburn and South Shields attended and extinguished the fire using a hose reel.
"They also used ventilation equipment to clear the smoke.
“Thankfully, no one was injured but parts of the bedroom were severely damaged by the fire and moderately damaged by smoke.”
The service has said candles should only be used in a sturdy holder and on a flat surface, should be kept away from anything flammable and any draughts and never be left unattended or moved when it is lit.
The service recommends people use battery-powered candles.
It has stressed the importance of having working smoke alarms, which offer vital early warning of any fire.
The service offers advice to householders on how to stay safe, with more information about its home fire safety checks available via https://www.twfire.gov.uk/safety-advice/home/home-safety-checks/.