Girlfriend of man shot by police in bedside vigil as street returns to normal

The girlfriend of a man who was shot by armed police is waiting by his hospital bedside as the community tries to get back to normality.

Wednesday, 30th March 2016, 11:54 am
Updated Wednesday, 30th March 2016, 12:01 pm
Police tape has now been removed from Frenchmas Way in South Shields.

James Carlo Wilson is fighting for his life after he was shot by police in Frenchmans Way, Horsley Hill, South Shields, at about 1am yesterday.

Northumbria Police said they had received reports that the 24-year-old was in possession of a handgun.

James Carlo Wilson who was shot by the police.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Armed officers attended the scene and made contact with Mr Wilson before he was shot.

It's understood he was hit in the chest by an armed officer and taken to Newcastle's RVI for treatment where he is described as being in a 'critical but stable condition'.

Today his girlfriend's sister said her sibling was at the hospital with Mr Wilson.

She said: "She's not at home at the moment, she's up at the hospital with him."

James Carlo Wilson who was shot by the police.

Meanwhile police cordons which had sealed off parts of the street was removed at about 7pm last night and residents are trying to get on with things.

A mum-of-two said: "It's just crazy to think what's happened here in just over 24 hours.

"The police removed all of the tapes at about 7pm last night and we're now free to come and go again.

"There's definitely a bit of an edge to the atmosphere. It's the Easter holidays and it's quite a nice day, so usually you'd see a lot more people about and kids playing in the street.

"I've told mine they're not going out, I'll take them out to the park later for a run about.

" I mean it was probably just one of those things that won't ever happen again, but it''s not worth taking a risk is it."

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) said it is investigating an incident in which a man was shot and seriously injured by Northumbria Police officers.

The IPCC said a non-police weapon was recovered from the scene

The watchdog said that following notification of the incident by Northumbria Police, IPCC investigators travelled to the North East to “supervise post-incident procedures for the police officers involved as well as taking control of the scene of the shooting”.

In a statement, it added: “IPCC Investigators have been conducting house to house inquiries during the day and overseeing forensic scene examinations."