Glastonbury organisers warn festival-goers of extra security measures
Glastonbury Festival organisers have warned those attending the event to expect extra security precautions to keep them safe following the recent terror attacks.
Ticket-holders have been told to pack light as they will be subject to extra searches of their vehicles, their bags and themselves as they enter the Somerset site later this month.
They are also warned not to expect any music or entertainment in the car parks ahead of the festival officially opening.
Attendees have been requested to put luggage tags on all bags and belongings, with their name and mobile numbers so they can be more readily identified, and urged not to wrap bags in thick plastic wrap as they will need to be easily accessible for searches.
There will also be separate search lanes for those entering the festival with large luggage and trolleys.
The festival will see up to 175,000 people descend on the fields of Worthy Farm in Pilton from Wednesday June 21 to Sunday June 25.
The majority of music fans are expected to arrive on the Wednesday, with the gates to the world-famous festival thrown open at 8am.
Car parks will be open from 9pm on Tuesday June 20, but organisers said that unlike in recent years, there will be no entertainment or facilities put on in the car parks, and festival-goers will be expected to remain in their cars until the festival gates open.
Warning that the more thorough searches will make entering the festival take more time than usual, organisers suggested arriving at the festival on the Thursday or Friday instead, when queues will be shorter.
In an email sent to all ticket-holders, organisers said they "wanted to drop you a line with some extra information about entrance to this year's festival, in light of the recent tragic events in Manchester and London.
"As always, we have put in place all necessary measures to maximise public safety, working closely with the authorities. But you can also play your part in keeping the festival safe and secure, so we'd very much appreciate it if you'd read and digest this email."
The festival already has a number of security measures in place, such as the "superfence" which surrounds the 1,200 acre site. It was first erected in 2002 at a cost of £1 million to beat fence-jumpers who previously managed to enter.
Those wanting to purchase tickets must also supply photo IDs, a measure introduced to put a stop to the booming demand for black market tickets.