Harry Redknapp responds to speculation linking him with Newcastle job

Harry Redknapp says he has NOT been contacted by Newcastle United over Steve McClaren's job.

Wednesday, 9th March 2016, 8:03 am
Updated Wednesday, 9th March 2016, 8:06 am

The crisis-hit club is sounding out potential successors to McClaren, who is set to lose his job.

Fans chanted for McClaren to be dismissed in the weekend's 3-1 home defeat to Bournemouth.

But the club, which is second-bottom of the Premier League and a point adrift of safety, will not act until a successor has been found.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Asked about speculation linking him with the job, Redknapp told Irish channel TV3 Sport: "No, I've never spoken to anybody at Newcastle.

"Steve's still in a job. I like Steve McClaren. I've worked with Steve (at Queens Park Rangers).

"He's an excellent coach, manager, but he needs a result quickly. But I've never spoken to them.

"I was getting on the plane today from Southampton, and everybody thought I was heading to Newcastle. I was heading to Dublin."

Former Tottenham Hotspur manager Redknapp has been out of work since stepping down from his post at QPR a last year to undergo knee surgery.

Asked if he would go back into management, the 69-year-old said: "If something came along that was interesting, I would.

"Most of the offers I'm getting at the moment are from far off places in the world where I don't feel like travelling to at the moment."