Battling Llana has happy homecoming

HOME AGAIN ... big sister Maria Qazi and father and mother Mohammad Qazi and Shazeb Qazi with little Llana Qazi.
HOME AGAIN ... big sister Maria Qazi and father and mother Mohammad Qazi and Shazeb Qazi with little Llana Qazi.

A LITTLE girl who spent three weeks in hospital fighting for her life, is back at home in South Tyneside and on the road to recovery.

Llana Qazi was taken to the intensive care unit at Newcastle’s Freeman Hospital last month after her body rejected the donor heart she received two years ago.

But the two-year-old battled back to health and has now been allowed back to the family home in Dean Road, South Shields.

Her grateful father, Mohammad Qazi, told of his delight at having his little girl back home.

Llana suffered an acute rejection of the donor organ.

Mr Qazi, 53, said: “We are just so relieved. Everybody is. We have had a lot of people coming up to us – even people we don’t know – asking how she is getting on after reading about it in the Gazette.

“She is doing OK. She has gone for some blood tests and the doctors are satisfied with how she is doing. She is doing fine.

“The doctors are sure that they now have the rejection of the donor heart under control.”

Mr Qazi says Llana is having to be temporarily kept in isolation as her immune system recovers and doctors are keeping a close eye on her recovery.

Llana received a new heart when she was just nine months old in February 2012 after spending almost eight months in Newcastle’s Freeman Hospital.

She was kept alive by a mechanical Berlin heart after suffering from a condition called cardiomyopathy. Mr Qazi and wife Shazeb, 42, as well as their sons Jassan and Saad and daughter Maria, have taken part in the Great North Run for the last two years to raise funds for the Freeman Hospital’s Children’s Heart Unit Fund (CHUF).

The medical setback had come just days after the family’s fish and chip shop in East Smithy Street, South Shields, was raided by burglar Lee Mulholland, who stole a camera containing precious family snaps and a Cancer Research charity box.

Mulholland was jailed for 17 weeks at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court last month but Mr Qazi said the burglary paled into insignificance compared with the personal turmoil the family have gone through.