A summer of fun and laughter is in store as comedian Jason Cook announces a homegrown comedy festival.
The South Tyneside Comedy Festival is set to run for 10 days later this year.
The event, the first ever of its kind, will see a host of top comedians come to the Customs House, in Mill Dam, South Shields, from July 29 to August 7.
The festival, which Jason hopes will become an annual event in the borough’s calendar, will see a host of local, national and international acts take to the stage.
The Hebburn funnyman said: “The Comedy Club has been going so well and there’s a real thirst for comedy in South Tyneside – especially comedy at affordable prices – that I decided to organise a festival. I’ve got some amazing acts at stupidly-low prices signed up so far and there’s loads more to come.
“I’m hoping it’ll run every year but this one is a tester to see how it goes.”
The festival director added: “We’re going to have gigs going on in two different rooms at the Customs House, but of course I’m hoping every show sells so well that it gets moved into the big room.
“This is always my favourite audience, I absolutely love playing here, and that’s what I’ve been telling everyone, that it’s going to be the best audience they’ve ever performed for. There’s going to be something for everyone – we’ve even got comedy for kids. There’s going to be all the best local comics as well as the best in the business, people you see on telly all the time. I’m speaking to some really big names but don’t want to give anything away just yet.
“A festival like this has never been done in South Tyneside before and I really hope people get behind it because it’s for them.
“They won’t see these comics for these prices anywhere else.”
I’m speaking to some really big names but don’t want to give anything away just yet.Jason Cook
Tickets for the acts that have been announced are on sale now at www.customshouse.co.uk or by calling 0191 454 1234. People are advised to sign up to the mailing list at www.southtynesidecomedyfestival.co.uk to hear about the line-up first.
Here’s a list of acts that have been announced for the South Tyneside Comedy Festival so far:
• Justin Moorhouse: People and Feelings – Friday, July 29, 7pm, £7 (60 mins).
• Chris Ramsey and Jason Cook: Ramsey and Cook Are Mucking About – Friday, July 29, 8.30pm, £9 (120 mins with interval).
• Martin Bigpig: Funny Stuff For Happy People – a comedy show for kids, Saturday, July 30, 1pm, £8 (60 mins).
• Steffen Peddie: 99 Problems and the Chips Ain’t One – Saturday, July 30, 7pm, £7 (90 mins).
• Gary Delaney: There’s Something About Gary – Sunday, July 31, 7pm, £10 (60 mins).
• Carl Hutchinson: The Fixer – Wednesday, August 3, 8pm, £7 (60 mins).
• The Geordie Rat Pack Destroy Songs From The Shows – Thursday, August 4, 7.30pm, £20 (140 mins including interval).