'I'm absolutely heartbroken - he was my life' says girlfriend of man who died after being shot by police in South Shields

The girlfriend of the man who died in hospital after being shot by the police in South Shields has told of her heartbreak at his death.

Monday, 4th April 2016, 2:49 pm
Updated Monday, 4th April 2016, 3:36 pm
James Wilson with his girlfriend Kayleigh Reay and her daughter Lexie, who he called his 'Queen' and 'Princess'.

Kayleigh Reay, 25, was the partner of James Wilson, who died in hospital at the weekend, four days after being shot by armed police.

Mr Wilson, 24, of Candlish Street, South Shields, lost his fight for life in the early hours of Saturday at the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle.

James Wilson had a 'King' tattoo on his hand, and his partner Kayleigh has one saying 'Queen'.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Today, Ms Reay released a picture of them together, with her daughter Lexie, seven, who he called his 'princess'.

She said: "I would just like to thank everyone for their support, kind words, flowers and gifts.

"Everyone that knew James would know how much of a kind-hearted, loving person he really was, and did not deserve this at all.

James Wilson had a 'King' tattoo on his hand, and his partner Kayleigh has one saying 'Queen'.

"I'm absolutely heartbroken. He was my life, my shadow and now I am lost.

"No words can describe how much I am going to miss you, love you always and forever 'my king ' - your queen Kayleigh and princess Lexie."

She also posted a picture which showed that she and Mr Wilson had tattoos on their hands - hers saying 'queen' and his saying 'king'.

Little Lexie added: "Gentle Jesus up above, give my James a big, big hug, I love you James, love Lexie. PS I miss you and playing football. I will watch for your star. I love you."

She also said she will keep James's DVDs safe.

Mr Wilson was in an induced coma after the incident in Frenchmans Way, Horsley Hill, last week.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) is investigating the shooting, which happened at about 1am last Tuesday.

Officers were called to reports of a man with a handgun, and made contact with him, before he was shot.

The IPCC said a 'non-police weapon' was recovered from the scene. Mr Wilson's family have told the Gazette that it was a BB gun.