Inquest date set into death of South Shields man shot by police in street

An inquest into the death of a man who was shot by police in a street in South Shields will take place before the end of this year.

By The Newsroom
Thursday, 30th August 2018, 12:41 pm
Updated Thursday, 30th August 2018, 2:21 pm
Police on the scene after James Carlo Wilson was shot in Frenchman's Way, South Shields.

James Carlo Wilson died days after being shot by officers following an incident in the early hours of March 29, 2016, in Frenchman’s Way in the Horsley Hill area.

Mr Wilson, who was 24, was taken to the RVI in Newcastle before being transferred the city’s Freeman Hospital where he died a few days later on April 1.

James Carlo Wilson.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

In a short hearing at Newcastle Coroner’s Court, city coroner Karen Dilks said that a date for a jury inquest into Mr Wilson’s death would be scheduled for Monday, November 12 and could be expected to last for up to three weeks.

She told the hearing: “We are all very much aware of the difficulties I have encountered with accommodation for the hearing.

“We can’t get a court room between here and Teesside, whether that is a magistrates or a higher court.

“It is the local authority’s responsibility to make sure that we have the accommodation and they have now agreed that the Manor House in Jesmond can be used during these three weeks.

“We will however be unable to sit on November 15 and 16 because there is a pre-arranged function.”

An investigation into the shooting incident before Mr Wilson’s death was carried out by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) and completed in July last year.

It was sent on to Northumbria Police for comment.

The watchdog said the findings will not be published until after his inquest is completed.

The report found that Mr Wilson was first hit by a attenuating energy projectile (AEP), which have replaced rubber or plastic bullets, before he was then shot with a gun.

The report stated: “Armed officers from Northumbria Police responded to reports of a white man, aged 24, in the street who appeared to have a handgun.

“They challenged the man and shouted for the gun to be put down.

“An officer fired an AEP round that hit the man, but did not incapacitate him.

“The police then fired a single shot from a conventional firearm, hitting the man in the chest.

“He received immediate medical attention and was taken to hospital where he died three days later.

“A break barrel air pistol, resembling a genuine firearm, was recovered from the scene.”