James Fairley's hat-trick heroics not enough for Jarrow Roofing

Jarrow Roofing twice gave away a one-goal lead to lose 4-3 at home to third-placed Guisborough Town.

By The Newsroom
Sunday, 24th January 2016, 5:02 pm
Updated Sunday, 24th January 2016, 7:54 pm
James Fairley
James Fairley

The Roofers’ first game since December 18 began well, with the opening goal falling the way the hosts after just 78 seconds.

After seeing his side keep the ball for much of the opening minute, captain Alex White played a long ball upfield which was beautifully taken down about 25 yards from goal by James Fairley who raced to the edge of the penalty area before unleashing an effort across goal and into the bottom left corner of Nick Liversedge’s net.

The first half was very even in terms of chances at goal while Guisborough probably shaded the possession, and Roofing maintained their advantage right up until half-time.

Just six minutes after the interval, however, and the visitors drew level as they broke quickly from a Roofing attack and Curtis Round found himself in space on the edge of the area and finished low past Dan Regan.

It took only 10 minutes for the Roofers to regain their advantage as Fairley grabbed his second of the afternoon.

Roofing advanced patiently towards the Guisborough penalty area and, as a heavy challenge on Jamie Marshall on the edge of the area saw an advantage played, the ball fell to Fairley who fired the ball high into the back of the net.

On 77 minutes, Guisborough drew level again as an inswinging free kick from the right was headed in by substitute Connor Smith despite appeals from the home defence about the potentially offside nature of Smith’s position when the ball was played.

Two minutes later and the visitors took the lead for the first time in the afternoon.

Helm carried the ball upfield from inside his own half and laid off Smith on the edge of the 18-yard box who was able to beat Regan and claim his second in as many minutes.

Round doubled Guisborough’s advantage just eight minutes before the end of regulation time as a nice up-the-field passing move was finished by the man who already had two.

A third for Fairley gave Roofing hope of a point on 88 minutes. The former Durham City man chipped the ‘keeper from the edge of the area after a lay off from Marshall.

However, the Roofers weren’t able to take anything from a game which they took such a hold on, very early on.