A BREWERY will toast the New Year with the launch of a new bar as it returns a historic ale house to its former glory.
Jarrow Brewery has bought the Jarrow Crusaders in Walter Street to add to its string of venues, and will return its name to The Albion, which was its title when a pub first opened on the same plot in 1865.
The firm bought the building from auction after the last pub to run there closed down earlier this year.
A launch date is still being confirmed as work continues, but is expected to be in the coming weeks.
Jess McConnell, managing director of the brewery, said: “We are delighted to have secured the Jarrow Crusaders, and are planning to transform it into a quality local community pub offering a full range of award-winning Jarrow Brewery brands.”
Renovation work has included efforts to expose its original tiles on the facade, which had been covered up.
The venue will serve a range of cask ales and international lagers, with no juke box to be installed or music to be performed.
Jobs which will be created as a result of the project will include a manager’s post as well as bar staff, with recruitment already under way.
The move follows a hugely successful first year for the firm in its new premises, at the Bede Industrial Estate, Jarrow.
The new beer plant was launched last October, allowing the company to expand into a 5,000 square foot, 40-barrel facility.
The firm is now producing 72,000 pints a week, five times the amount it was able to manufacture at its previous base, at the Maltings Brewery Tap, in South Shields, which remains the testing brewery.
Jarrow Brewery employs 12 people, and has a projected turnover for the year ending March, 2015, at around £1.5m.