A SOUTH Tyneside man has died after a horrific fire tragedy.
Darren Winlow died in hospital last week after the incident in the garden of his mother’s home in Chillingham Terrace, Jarrow.
His mother looked out of the window and saw a fireball. He was in an induced coma in hospital, where he died last week. Everyone is very shocked about it.Family friend
It is understood the tragedy involved petrol from a lawnmower, and Mr Winlow, who was a gardener, was found on fire by his mother, Elizabeth.
Police and the ambulance service were called to the house and Mr Winlow was taken to Newcastle’s Royal Victoria Infirmary.
The tragedy happened on April 24 but Mr Winlow never recovered from his injuries.
Police believe there is no third party involvement in the death.
A family friend – who saw Mr Winlow just two hours before his death – paid tribute to a “big character” who was well-liked in the area.
The woman, who asked not to be named, said: “He had been at my house at about 9.30pm that night.
She added: “You don’t think that, just a few hours later, something like this could happen in his mother’s garden and in front of her.
“It is absolutely awful. It is such a horrible way to die.
“I had known him for about 15 years. He was a gardener and also did odd jobs for me in the house.
“His mother went into the garden and saw a fireball.
“He was in an induced coma in hospital, where he died last week. Everyone is very shocked about it.”
Mrs Winlow wished to make no comment on the tragedy.
Northumbria Police spokeswoman said: “At 11.10pm on Friday, April 24 police received a report from the ambulance service of a man on fire at an address on Chillingham Terrace, Jarrow.
“Officers and the emergency services attended and a man was taken to the RVI Hospital where he later died.
“A report is being prepared for the coroner.
“There is not believed to be any third party involvement.”